WonL

The random thoughts of an architect-turned- lawyer from the deep south living in Washington, DC...

Thursday, November 18, 2004

Ramblings of a 20-something drama queen

I think Law School fosters depression. I read once that your first year of law school can be the lonliest time of your life. I don't know if it is the hours and hours of sitting alone with my head buried in a book. Or perhaps it is the days and days that go by without even seeing my roommates. It could also be the multiple outings and bonding moments that I cannot be a part of due to these school obligations. It could also be the up-coming holidays and knowing that I am spending them studying. I really don't know what it is, but it is messing with my head. I feel like I don't have anything in common with my friends anymore. The people at school that I do actually have things in common with are too busy or pre-occupied to just sit and hang out. I went through this extreme amount of stress during architecture school. I guess the main difference was that we went through it together. Our class grew and changed and became each other's support system. It's really hard to do that with people you have only known for a few months. It's also really hard to do this alone. So, I turned to my real support system tonight.

B...I LOVE YOU! It is an amazing feeling to have a friend that you can pick up the phone and call out of nowhere and it's like you never left each other's side. (Even if he is talking from the toilet!) In all honesty, people like that are really hard to come by: a person that you can just call up, say "hi" and they hear in your voice that something isn't quite right; a person that knows exactly what to say to make you feel better; a person who can pick you up off the ground from 1500 miles away. It's really hard not having that person beside you to give you a big hug that you sooooooooo badly need. On the other hand, the words of a friend can be pretty powerful. In speaking with B tonight, he made me realize just how many people I have like that in my life. I am an extremely fortunate person to have such great friends!!! So, B, tonight I shall have a great nights sleep and I owe that to you. Thanks for being such a rock in my life. I miss you:-)