WonL

The random thoughts of an architect-turned- lawyer from the deep south living in Washington, DC...

Thursday, October 19, 2006

Fortune Cookie

I did not used to put much stock in the fortunes out of the little cookies. However, ever since this summer, I feel like some little fortune cookie maker somewhere is making them just for me. (Thinking back to the lunch I had with the hiring partner of law firm when my fortune read "you will make a good lawyer.")


Insane amounts of stress lately (in addition to a 1300 calorie a day diet) led me straight to the chinese food takeout place on Monday. After indulging in some Kung Pao Chicken, I opened my fortune and read "Good news will come to you from far away." Of course, I immediately thought good news would be coming from London. Right? Good because I could really use some good news from London right about now.


On Tuesday, I got an email from a lady who had found my blog and read back through my summer romance posts. She has a background in the Arab Muslim world including an ex-husband and a masters degree. She offered to answer any cross-cultural questions I might have. Sweet! When I emailed her back, I let her know that I am writing a paper this semester about women in the Muslim world and could very well use some of her help. This lady, who I have never met and who only recently began reading my blog emailed me back the most in depth wonderful email ever. She gave me people to contact, books to read, she clarified many of my thoughts, and basically formed a research plan for my paper. If nothing else, she gave me a place to start...something I have been looking for for months!


Today, I realized this lady has a blog. A blog called "Life Far Away". I smiled ten minutes later as I was cleaning the living room and found my fortune "Good news will come to you from far away."