WonL

The random thoughts of an architect-turned- lawyer from the deep south living in Washington, DC...

Sunday, November 28, 2004

Friends of Friends

I am sitting out back on the deck with my coffee, a blanket, and my laptop. It is such a gorgeous day. The sun is shining and there is not a cloud in the sky (at least above my house). There is a nice breeze, and peace and quiet. I just wanted to share this moment with you:-)

One of my favorite things about DC is friends of friends. I love making new friends and seeing old ones that you have met through other people. You meet new people and part of the fun is figuring out how they ended up in the same place as you. Last night was great. I took a whole night study break to have a "Thanksgiving Dinner Again" with friends. It was the bringing together of a lot of people from very different places to just hang out. Suzanne and Leslie did an amazing job. I didn't get to taste everything, because there was more food than anyone knew what to do with. Ham, turkey, pork, tofurkey, chicken and dumplings, macaroni and cheese, 2 stuffings, a couple of gravys, applesause, cranberry stuff, corn bread, greeen bean casserole, green bean salad, rolls, mashed potatos, pumpkin pie, apple pie, pumpkin cheescake, pumpkin cookies, and even a pumpkin version of Mississippi Mud. S and L wanted everything to be perfect and it was! They had set up their living room to look all "fall" like and it was very inviting. I guess about 30+ people showed up in the course of the night. It was really nice. You know how sometimes, you go to a party and the people who know each other tend to stick together? I will admit that I do that sometimes. It was not like this at all. Everyone was very open. I was having a "what constitutes dating" conversation with some of my guy friends and the next thing we knew, every female around wanted in that conversation. We had a mini-battle of the sexes with strangers. It was great! I'd have to say the best part is when one of the girls (not knowing her boyfriend was back from the kitchen and standing behind her) asked about a time frame of dating before she could expect a ring. Talk about deer in headlights. I don't think that boy moved for 20 minutes!

After food, football, and a few drinks, we all went out dancing to Kristin and the Noise. I haven't seen them since Dewey this summer, so that was fun. I got a lot of complements on my hair too. (Happens when you go out to the Ballroom in corn rows!) It was a really fun evening! It was also nice to know that in my constant studying, I am missed by my friends:-) I needed that release. Back to the books.