WonL

The random thoughts of an architect-turned- lawyer from the deep south living in Washington, DC...

Monday, April 16, 2007

What are the chances?

As I was getting dressed for school this morning, I had the news of the Virginia Tech shootings on in the background. One person dead. My first thoughts were of my cousin that goes to school there. Yeah, but what are the chances it would be him? I shrugged it off.

When I got to school and settled into class, I noticed the story on CNN.com said there were actually two shootings and one happened in an engineering building. My cousin is in engineering. Then again Tech is a big engineering school. Again, what are the chances, right?

A friend messaged me to tell me 22 confirmed dead. That's a lot of people. I'm getting a little nervous so I send a few emails to the family. Still, with 26,000 students, I am thinking what are the chances?

As time goes on and I get no word, I find myself getting really nervous. When I finally do hear from my cousin, I find out that the shootings took place in a classroom...the very classroom he was supposed to be in. My cousin was running late today. I took a moment to breathe a huge sigh of relief,
as a couple of tears welled in my eyes. Then I clasped my hands a said a prayer of thanks. Because really, what are the chances?

Labels: