WonL

The random thoughts of an architect-turned- lawyer from the deep south living in Washington, DC...

Monday, November 14, 2005

Too busy

Okay, I know I have a rule that "boys don't make the blog"...but this one is just too good.


I consider myself a pretty smart gal. Law school gpa and all that crap aside, I'm really not that dumb. Furthermore, in my years of living, I have come across my fair share of bullshit when dealing with guys in the form of friends, boyfriends, potential boyfriends, etc. Despite all my learning over the years, this one guy still shocks me every damn time.


He comes back with the same "I want you in my life" line he always has. Fine, wonderful, great, whatever...uh-huh. I guess he knew I was obviously not buying it. He speaks in strange words like "marriage...babies...Laura, move in with me." All I hear is "blah..blah..blah." I'm not trying to sound like a bitch here, but give me some credit. I did learn a little something from the last time...and the time before that...oh yeah, and that other time. Without going into too much boring detail, I will tell you one of our biggest problems is our inability to spend time together. Seriously, I have friends in long distance relationships that see each other more often. Did I mention, we live in the same freaking city? Right, but even once a week is sometimes not workable, and let's just say it is not due to...well, anything on my part. Don't get me wrong, I am not a needy relationshippy chick that wants to spend every day/night together. But at the same time, come on...what kind of relationship can anyone have with an occasional email and without seeing each other...ever? If I wanted a pen pal, I'd write to someone in Iraq.


"But things are going to be different this time." Well, forgive me, but I am going to keep my guard up for a while. (Direct orders from some good friends;-) Two freaking weeks, dude. That's all it took. That has to be some sort of record...even for us. Then he decides he is not willing to give up. He is going to soul-search and seek advice and think and make this work. Once again, forgive me for being crude, but I will believe it when I see it. I'm not sure if he is trying to convince me (which may very well be a lost cause at this point) or himself (which is going to take a shitload more than talking to some partner in his law firm) but I was willing to humor him. It was all supposed to be figured out and discussed this weekend. I was supposed to have made some sort of decision or whatnot.


You will never guess what happened. Okay, some of you will guess because we seem to have been through this before. No phone call. No email. No talk. No decision. Today (5 days since we last spoke) I get an email: "sorry, got busy at work. later this week?" I could not help but laugh. He got too "busy" to have a talk about how he could make a relationship work in spite of how "busy" he is. Seriously.


Let the "I told ya so"s roll in:-)