WonL

The random thoughts of an architect-turned- lawyer from the deep south living in Washington, DC...

Friday, January 21, 2005

I no longer walk alone

No, mom, I have not gotten past that fear of committment. I am referring to the masses of Rebulicans that have taken the city. At the risk of pissing off half of my readers (which is probably only about 3 people), I want to tell you about life in Washington D.C. this week from a different perspective.

Four years ago this February, I came to Washington DC on a trip for some interviews. I was still in college and had no idea what I was in store for. I had voted for Bush in the first election (hell, most of Louisiana did) and had just missed the Inauguration. I did, however, purchase a shirt from a vendor for $5 in honor of the Inauguration and my President. This year, I got to be part of it.

It has been amazing to have lived four years in the same city as such a great man. His gentle words comforted me on September 11, 2001 when I sat alone crying in my apartment. His anger inspired me and his tears made me see him in a different light. His desire to better our world was shown to me through emails from friends in Kuwait who are now safe to walk their own streets. His strength and resolve was a bright light to me in this past election. I lived through it in this city, and I assure you, it was not easy. If it was that difficult for me to stand up for the beliefs that are contrary to 95% of DC, I can only imagine how he does it!

This week, I finally got to celebrate. We all did. For the first time since all of this has started, there was a day that was not about the dissidents and the anger and the hatred. The protesters were out, but for once, it was not about them. It was a day to celebrate my President being elected again. I have so appreciated the people that came from all over the country for this. (Of course, there may have been a few more Texans than any other state, but I love those Texans.) It makes me feel so much less alone in my beliefs. The last time I saw this much Bush/Cheney paraphanalia was when I drove through the deep south this summer. Living here, I had almost become convinced that the whole country did hate Bush. I realize now, that it was a narrow looking glass through which I have seen this. I saw so much happiness and hope this week. I saw so many supportive people. This was such a historic event and I am thankful to have been afforded the opportunity to be a part of it.

So, I want to thank some people:
To my dear friend, Holly, thanks for being my co-hort through all of this:-)
To the two fellow Bush supporters in my law school class who got all decked out in their Tux's for the Inaugural ball, I had a great time!
To the Texas man who asked the Starbucks guy for some whiskey in his coffee, thanks for the laugh.
To the 200 Texans in the food court at the Pentagon City Mall, I loved the hats!
To the news stations for actually focussing more on the moment at hand than on the protesters, I appreciate that.
To my boss for giving me crappy tickets to the Inauguration itself, I stayed in bed and watched it on TV.
To the men that noticed the IRATE DC lady flipping out about too many people on the Metro, thanks for turning to her and saying "calm down lady, I think another one will come."
To the lady who did my hair and to my roommate who did my make-up, thanks for that since I know both of you were big Kerry supporters.
To the Democratic Lobbyists I work for, thanks for asking about and understanding how much this meant to me.
To the tons of people who came in town for this, thanks for spending your time and money in our city. We needed the tourism boost.