WonL

The random thoughts of an architect-turned- lawyer from the deep south living in Washington, DC...

Sunday, January 16, 2005

Conversations with a teenager

Growing up, I always wanted a little sister. I am a middle child with two brothers and I always wondered how different my life would be if I had a sister. Yesterday, I got to find out. I spent the day with my 16 year old cousin. Her older brother was leaving for college and I knew it was going to be rough on her. I took her shopping, to lunch, and then she did my hair. We were discussing make-up and pretty dresses and she was telling me that she has never been to a formal and really wants to get all dressed up. She menitoned that prom was coming up and there is "this senior". I asked just who was this senior and said "ooo, tell me the story." While this may not be word for word, tt went something like this:

Well, we like flirt a lot at school and stuff. And he's like really cute. And like all my friends think he's cute. So then, this one time, we were hangin' out and talkin' after soccer practice. Then, he was like "wanna go for a walk" and I was like "yeah". So, we walked and ended up just sitting in the bleachers at the baseball field. We were still flirting and just hanging out. Then, I like sat on his lap. It was really cold outside, so we were just sitting there like hugging each other. Then, he leaned over and kinda, um, kissed me. Then we were just sitting in the bleachers and hugging and kissing. So, then, we hang out at lunch all the time and all of my friends keep asking what's going on and I don't know what to say. So, I asked him "are we like boyfriend/girlfriend or what?" He told me that he doesn't see us as a couple and that I am like his best friend. I said "okay, that's cool." But, Law-rah, I really don't understand why he kissed me. I'm just confused now. Why did he kiss me if he doesn't like me like that?


Um, I think It is at this point that I am supposed to answer my pseudo younger sister. Well, tons of things are racing through my head. What in the hell were you doing with this "senior" in the bleachers at night? being at the top of the list. I was that age once and I know what goes on in the world of a "senior" boy. Hell, I know what goes on in the world of a 16 year old girl! Anyway, I am playing big sister role not the mother role here. So, do I tell this child that this is only the beginning and she's going to see a whole lot more of this in her life? Do I explain "friends with benefits", or will she need a few years to fully appreciate that one? Do I tell her about the most recent book? Do I tell her that in her youth and innocence she has just stumbled upon an age old question that no one really knows the answer to? Nah, I stick with "Boys suck. Besides, you can do much better than him anyway." I guess in the long run, it is better that I do not have a younger female sibling relying on my guidance and wisdom when it comes to the male species!