WonL

The random thoughts of an architect-turned- lawyer from the deep south living in Washington, DC...

Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Well that's annoying

I got a 7:30 AM phone call this morning! Normally, this would be a dire emergency in my life. Family, work, friend, etc. It was a lady from the doctor's office about an appointment I had three weeks ago. I got a tad nervous.


Her: "Ms. B, I am calling in reference to your appointment on October 1. I am sorry to inform you that your insurance is expired."


Me: "Yes, I know that. That's why I didn't use it. I paid out of pocket."


Her: "Oh you did? Well, there was a mistake. You should have paid $x but you only paid $y."


Me: "No, that is incorrect as well. I paid with a credit card and after your employee had me sign she told me she realized she was wrong and it was actually three times as much. She re-ran my card so I actually paid twice - adding up to $y."


Her: "Okay, I should go pull your file and look at the bill from that day."


Bye-bye.


At this point, my question is...if you are going to call me at 7:30 in the morning to discuss my bill, don't you think you might have a freaking copy of it in front of you. Maybe even one with the correct information?


Phone rings again. This time I answer obviously annoyed.


Her: "Ms. B. Yeah, I was right, you actually owe $z more money."


Me: "Ma'am, it is 7:30 in the morning and I am trying to get dressed and out of the door for work. Might there be a better time this can be handled?"


Her: "Well, I looked back at your bill."


Me: "You will have to call me later today to handle this. I will bring the paperwork to work with me and deal with it then."


Her: "I just wanted to follow up and let you know I was right."


I envision she probably stuck her tongue out after that last line. Personally, I'm not sure it is a good idea to call anyone (much less a lawyer who is extremely anal-retentive about paperwork) at 7:30am to tell her she's wrong and then brag about being right. Maybe that's just me because she started my day off on the wrong foot for me. Just sayin'

Labels: