WonL

The random thoughts of an architect-turned- lawyer from the deep south living in Washington, DC...

Tuesday, July 25, 2006

I have been having the most breathtaking lovely experience this summer with the most amazing man I have ever met. I broke my normal "boys don't make the blog" rule because I just could not contain myself. This gent has renewed my faith in men but more importantly in myself. Many of you have been following along and supporting me in this. I do believe that you can see the sparkle in my eyes from where you are. I hope you are liking this guy as much as I am. I do feel like I am in a fairy tale. So, to continue:


He has not allowed me to pay for a single thing since I met him. He buys my coffee even if he is not having any. He says that I am his lady and that I deserve the world. It's only money.


...still reading?


He gently kisses me on the forehead and says "this is a special one because it means I will always protect you." And he does.


...still reading?


He told me that before I came into his life, there was only room in his heart for God and his Mom. Now, I have a room all of my own.


...still reading?


He plays no games. He is open and honest with me about everything. He tells me that he is scared about where our future will lead but that his heart tells him we belong together.


...still reading?


He tells me that he feels like he has known me for years. Then he asks me if I believe in destiny.


...still reading?


He loves to hold me close and dance with me. We can be in the midst of a crowded bar with friends but if a slow song comes on, he wants to dance. Neither of us even notice the people watching with envy.


...still reading?


He was born in Paris, grew up in Algeria, and now lives in London. He is Muslim.


...still reading?


For some reason, that one has stopped a few people in my life from reading any further. That one has made people question this wonderful man. I am not claiming to be the most openminded and welcoming soul around. I grew up in an area of our country without much diversity in lifestyles or cultures. Some may say I was sheltered in a sense. But I have been been downright shocked at some of the responses I have received from people in my life. I am taking a class right now that discusses racial/gender/ethnic equality and how far we have come. I am living an experience right now that is showing me how far we have to go.


I was born as a white, upper-middle class Catholic in the United States. Never in my life did I anticipate that I would personally feel the hurt of stereotyping in our society with its freedom of Religion and expression. I cherish the time I have spent this summer allowing my mind to be open to other cultures and ways of life. I am experiencing life with the most amazing man who treats me like an angel. I cannot fathom that someone would doubt this man or even fear that he would harm me just because he is Muslim. It saddens me, angers me and confuses me.