WonL

The random thoughts of an architect-turned- lawyer from the deep south living in Washington, DC...

Monday, June 05, 2006

Roommates

I have had the best roommate luck ever since moving to the DC area. I have not known any of my roommates when we moved in together, but have enjoyed lasting friendships from almost all of them. This past Friday, I drank margaritas with old roomie, Amy. In the first group townhouse I ever lived, Amy and I shared the second floor. We lived together for three years in two different places. Saturday, I had dinner with Catherine and her man. I lived with her for two years in two different places. Sadly, she moved out to move in with her man. New roomie moved in yesterday and while we have not yet had the chance to bond, I think this is going to work out swimmingly. I woke up this morning to a note from her with some home-made cookies. Yay new roomie!


I must admit that I have not always had such good roommate luck. In college, I always lived with sorority sisters and that always went badly. Sometimes, very very badly. At one point, I had two roommates get pregnant (neither of which were in "stable" relationships). My grandma thought it was something in the water and started shipping me bottled water. My last two college roommates came complete with drama and gossip and raging boyfriends kicking holes in doors and venereal diseases.


Most memorable moment ever: It's about four in the morning on a weekday and I am sound asleep. I wake to a strange smell. A very strong smell. Bacon? Neither of my roommates eat pork. What is going on? I walk out of my bedroom and into the living room, from which I have a clear view of the kitchen. The guy in my kitchen does not notice me as he fries up his bacon and eggs. It's four in the morning. I have no idea who this guy is. He sees me and says "who are you?" I respond fairly simply "I'm Law-Rah and I live here. You?" Random says "oh hey, I'm [insert some name here]. I'm f*ck*ng your roommate. Want some bacon?"


Anyone else got roommate horror stories?