WonL

The random thoughts of an architect-turned- lawyer from the deep south living in Washington, DC...

Thursday, December 31, 2009

My Decade

Not surprisingly with the New Year approaching, I have been in a reflecting mood these past few days. Seems that this year, I've reflected not only on the past year, but on the past decade. WOW. We are wrapping up the first decade of this century. WOW.

I feel like I have accomplished, experience, and lived through a lot these past ten years. I took some time yesterday to capture my reflections with a pen and paper. I made a list of the top ten most monumental moments of my past ten years. It was actually tougher than I thought - especially trying to decide what to include and what not to include. It really puts into perspective the events over the past ten years that have molded me.

  1. Got a Bachelor's of Architecture degree (May 2001)
  2. Left home and moved to Washington, DC (July 9, 2001)
  3. Endured September 11 living in our nation's capital (September 11, 2001)
  4. Quit Smoking (June 9, 2004)
  5. Graduated from law school (May 2007)
  6. Took and passed the Virginia Bar Exam (July and October 2007)
  7. Traveled around the world (August-September 2007)
  8. Watched the economy take down my law firm leaving 675 people jobless (November 28, 2008)
  9. Had surgery on my spine (June 4, 2009)
  10. Blogged my life (August 23, 2004 - December 31, 2009)

I am sure that last one comes as no surprise (especially considering I have not posted in 6 months). Still, I feel a twinge of sadness calling it a day over here. This outlet endured longer than anything these past ten years and I think a huge part of that is the people I have met and the bonds I have forged.

What began as an online means of whining about law school turned into so much more. I have met some amazing people both in person and on the internet. I have become closer to many people in my life becuase this blog gave me the opportunity to communicate more freely than I ever learned to in my words in person. I have expressed feelings and emotions on this blog that I kept hidden from many in my real world.

I truly hope to find time in my life return to writing again one day. But WonL was for the first decade of this century - a decade that is now coming to a close.

Thank you to everyone who has ever participating in my life through WonL - be it through comments, emails, or even simply reading. I will miss you. Please stay in touch. LawRah04@gmail.com

Labels: , ,