WonL

The random thoughts of an architect-turned- lawyer from the deep south living in Washington, DC...

Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Semantics

Can someone tell me why I chose to take the Bar in a state that uses such antiquated language on the exam? I realize that I am taking one of the more "formal" Bar Exams in the country (as noted by the demand that I wear a suit to take the test), but this nomenclature is getting ridiculous.


I don't think you should be able to just claim an existing word like "committee" as your own by pronouncing it differently (ko-me-tay) and making it mean something completely unrelated (guy who steps in for the mentally incapacitated).


And motions "craving oyer"? Really? Old legal terms are Latin. This one is half English, half French-ish, and wholly unneccessary.


Call a summons a summons and a complaint a complaint. No need for calling things "summons" in one court and "notice of motion for judgment" in another court.


Is this just for the Bar and just in my state or is this how I will start speaking once I become a lawyer? If so, can I count it as a second language?

Labels: