WonL

The random thoughts of an architect-turned- lawyer from the deep south living in Washington, DC...

Sunday, August 29, 2004

Home sweet home

I am having a bit of trouble adjusting to my new life, but I think it will come with time. There are just so many things that were routine that are gone now and so many things that I need to figure out routine-wise. I have been studying at home for the peace and quiet, but realized my lack of human contact was starting to get to me. So, I tried studying at school. Well, since I did not yet have my student I.D., I couldn't get into the library and was forced to study in one of the "common study areas". By common study areas, they really mean, places to sit in front of your books while talking on your cell phone, checking out every person that walks by, yelling across to the other common study areas and popping lots of popcorn. Needless to say, I decided to come back home to study. It helps that there are plenty of windows so, I have lots of natural light while reading. It doesn't help that the people next door are selling their house* and have people driving by very slowly all day long. Sometimes, people just park across the street and watch the house. (*sidenote-they are selling for $950,000...Toto, I don't think we are in Louisiana anymore...what an absurd amount of money for a 3 bedroom house!)

Our weird neighbor came over to ask me a question the other day and I was so excited to talk to another human, I kept him on the porch for like 45 minutes! If we had a land line in the house, I fear I would carry on conversations with telemarketers! It's not that I am bored, I have plenty to do. I am just stir-crazy. I think I should go out and get a part time job this week. Maybe one more week of adjusting and then I will need to spend at least a few hours a day with social interaction and get out of this house.